Tuesday 16 July 2013

Cancun / Playa Del Carmen / Tulum

Hey everyone, I am speaking from a lot more positive side of things now. I would have to say that the minute we landed in Mexico it was almost as if i felt i was back home. Even tho the landing was a story in its self. We were coming in extreme fast, the plane looked to be getting closer to the ground quicker than normal, the lady next to me turned and looked at me as if to say is this going to be it. Many people were looking around the second before we touched. I'm assuming they were thinking is he going to pull up and take off again (thats what i was thinking).... He didn't the plane hit and bounced on the tarmac pulling hard to the right as if we were drifting side ways along the runway. All the women were screaming which then made all the kids cry, I'm not going to lie i was a little nervous myself. Once the pilot corrected the sideways drift he then proceeded into a hard brake, as if we were going to over shoot the runway. It was all under control in the end, I don't think there was one person on the plane that didn't clap, it was a very tense situation. I randomly ran into a guy in the Havana airport before we left, that i had meet about 3 or 4 weeks earlier in Merida. I was sitting in the airport near him thinking i have defiantly met this guy before, it gets really confusing after travelling for a while trying to remember where and when you met someone let only remembering there name. I decided to walk over to have a chat, we both realised at the same time were we had met but couldn't remember names, it was Scott... as soon as he said it, i clicked. He was also with another girl named Mika, we all talked for ages before our flight and decided to stay in the same hostel in Cancun. I was glad to have people to hang out with again. Once we arrived in Cancun the line for immigration was over an hour long. We then proceeded through to the baggage claim, i was going to every ATM in the exit area to see if my travel card worked, the first ATM worked, the second ATM worked. At that point i could not have been happier. I was hanging out with people again and able to get some cash, i was so happy i was even smiling when walking out of the airport to get the bus to Cancun centro. We had a fun night doing Tequila shots and celebrating being back on track. Two days later i caught a bus to Playa Del Carmen which is just as big of a party town as Cancun. In Playa on the first night i made friends with two English guys one English girl and a guy from Ireland. We were having beers most nights whilst sitting on the beach with Chris's (the Ireland guy) guitar. They were great people, very fun and with having done the trail i am about to do, down to Brazil in the opposite direction, they had so many things to tell me and advice to give it was great. The second night i was in Playa, we all went out to all the massive clubs. I haven't been out to a proper night club since i left home, i thought i can't travel through Playa and Cancun with out going to a night club that would be unheard of. It was so much fun and we didn't get home till  after daylight. I'm Currently in Tulum which will be my last town in Mexico before making my way in to Belize. Today i went to the famous Mayan Ruins here on the Tulum coastline, they were fantastic really amazing beach and such a strange feeling knowing the ancient Mayan's lived there thousands of years ago. Tomorrow i was going to go snorkel in the Cenote nearby called Gran Cenote. Just a big limestone sink hole with big caves, I'm not sure i will, i have spent a bit of money today, i brought my own snorkel mask so i don't need to rent it all the time (i already had a snorkel), i also brought a tripod for my camera so i can get some long exposure shots! I have arranged to meet up with Hannah the Aussie, to spend a week with her in Caye Caulker a popular spot for backpackers on a small island off Belize. I am really getting excited to start heading south, after going through Harriet and Ben's photos in Playa (two of the English people) there pics were just amazing and i have so much to look forward to. it's weird to think how little i have travelled and how much more there is to see and do. Words can not describe the pure freedom and enjoyment i am experiencing from day to day things. It is just amazing. I just didn't understand how many people are doing the same thing i am, literally thousands!! 

I will update from Belize, HASTA LUEGO MÉXICO  




BEFORE YOU JUDGE.... THIS IS ARGENTINIAN TEA























1 comment:

  1. Hi Lee Cairns,
    I have gone through your blog it is awesome and it is nice experience for me to see it. If you again want to go Mexico you can you can contact oscarcancunshuttle.com in Cancun, Mexico.It gives best reservation services.

    ReplyDelete